Spotlight

Kaya Bao (Kaya Steamed Buns)

August 16th, 2010Recipes, Snacks19 Comments
Kaya Bao (Kaya Steamed Buns)
Kaya Bao (Kaya Steamed Buns) pictures (3 of 3)

Contributor: Ho Siew Loon

Welcome back to our Bao series! We shall start the series with our ever green Kaya Bao. Bao or steamed buns are popular among the Chinese communities and is usually eaten during breakfast or as a snack at any time of the day and it goes very well with a cup of coffee…

Bao looks simple to make but in actual fact it is not an easy task to get the soft texture. I have tried many recipes and have finally settled down to this recipe and has remained a favorite. It is a lovely snack where you can wrap it up with your favorite filling like kaya, red bean pasted, meat many many more.

(Click Page 2 for Kayo Bao Recipe)

Tagged as:

SHARE THE RECIPE:

19 comments... read them below or add one

1. Joanne says:

I have never thought about pandan-flavoured kaya bao. Such a great idea. Yummy.

2. Su-yin says:

Ooooh I’ve been looking for a good bao recipe, will have to try this out.

3. Yum! I really love kaya, these would be so delicious!

4. Sounds lovely, I love pandan

5. I made your kaya recipe and it was lovely. Now I’ll have to try the bao…
    Thanks for the great nonya recipes:)

6. Brendan says:

I love baozi so much… my favorite must be red bean. Also love the meat ones. Very cool to find about bao of a different flair – using Kaya which I have never heard of before. Sweet coconut mixed w/ egg sounds scrumptious. Will definitely be trying this in the future. PS it is difficult to get the right consistency of the bao bread. Good work.

7. Thanh says:

Where would I be able to find low protein flour and/or what can I use as a substitute? I have been searching for a recipe that yields soft and fluffy bao for so long! Can’t wait to try this one. :)

8. Wow – growing up – kaya pao was such a treat for us!

9. Peter Kong says:

Your Kaya Bao is greenish in color cos of the pandan water. Gives the pandan fragrance.

Can you try making the Bao using creamy sweet corn (available in cans) for the filling and leaving out the pandan water?

I was working in Malacca long ago when I came across a hawker stall selling the mini sweet corn Bao and I loved it. One whole mini bao just disappears in one mouthful. Would eat lots of them each time.

Hope you will try making them and let us know how you like the sweeeet corn mini bao.

10. Pris says:

IS it really called “low protein flour”? Because I haven’t seen that in asian stores here before…. any other names?

11. Teeboh says:

Yup, I was wondering whether you could provide some other names for “bao flour”, whether in vietnamese or chinese in order to be able to look for it or even explain what the mix is made of in case one would have to make it at home…Thanks for your help and you inspiring recipes and blog.

• Sorry, I am not sure what is inside the bao flour, but it’s basically a packet of flour mixed specifically for “bao” or steamed buns. You can find it at the Asian grocery stores and the packaging usually shows the “bao.”

11.1
  12. I’ve been looking for a good bao recipe, will have to try this out

13. JY says:

I love kaya! Seeing your steamed kaya buns brings me back to the time when i was a kid sitting at the table in a Kopitiam. However, it was the steamed bread (not buns) with kaya and butter served together with a nice runny soft-boiled egg and an ice cold Milo! :D
    Will try out the recipe asap.

14. jack Tan says:

Dear Joanne,

I very interest in making Bao, do you know where got centre or school got provide this course?

I very greatfull to receive your respond thank you.