print Acar Awak Recipe (Nyonya Spicy Mixed Vegetable Pickle)
300g cucumber, cut lengthwise with the skin and seeds on
150g cabbage, cut into big pieces
50g carrot, skin peeled and cut lengthwise
50g French beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
50g long beans, cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
50g roasted peanuts, ground
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
5 tablespoons oil
12 fresh red chilies
1/2 inch fresh turmeric (or some turmeric powder)
Tamarind pulp, about golf ball size
1 cup water
- Soak the tamarind pulp in water for 15 minutes. Squeeze and extract the juice and set aside.
- Blend the spice paste in a food processor and set aside.
- Heat up a wok and add oil. Stir-fry the spice paste until aromatic. Add tamarind juice and bring to boil. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Add all vegetables into the wok and turn off the fire immediately. Add ground peanut, stir to mix well.
- Dish out, let cool and serve. Acar is best served overnight.
You can keep acar in the refrigerator for a few days.